Friday, August 5, 2011

It seems strange that trying Bikram (hot) Yoga for the first time would be a Vienna experience for me, but yesterday it was.  Our neighbor, Christiana - an opera singer - is a devotee to Bikram. Last week, she asked me if I wanted to join her sometime. "Sure. That would be great," I said. Well, it turns out that she thought I was serious.

Yesterday, knowing that we were going to leave here at about 2:15 in the afternoon, I drank water all day long. And paced. And tried to figure out what I was going to wear. And drank more water. I read the yoga studio's website (it's in German and English): Bikram Yoga Schottenring. I was nervous, really.  They have a special offer:


7 days for 7 Euros.

At 2:15, I was sure that Christiana had forgotten. I was dressed in capri-length yoga pants and a lightweight t-shirt. I was ready, but somewhat relieved that she'd forgotten. At 2:20, she knocked on the door. She was dressed like a normal person, with a bag of yoga clothes to change into.  She gently suggested that I might want to have a change of clothes for after the class, as I will really really really want dry clothes. I grabbed a few things and we left.

We walked up to the bus stop at Hoher Markt and took the bus to Schottenring.  We walked from there to the studio on Maria-Theresien-Straße.  We went in - even the entry/lobby was hot. I was sweating as soon as we stepped in. Christiana told me on the way that many of the instructors combine German and English in their classes, and that they are all very nice. We were greeted by Tammy, who was very nice. She handed me a form (in German) on which I had to enter my information (I guessed at what section required what information and couldn't remember our phone number) and then signed away my life and, presumably, any liability they might have for the end of my life.

Christiana was helpful and grabbed me a mat to stake out a place in the back of the studio. We went into the changing room (I'm sweating) and she explained that perhaps I would be too hot in my t-shirt, and perhaps I would like to just wear my athletic bra by itself.  Looking at all of the women around me, and noting that I had a long, long, long way to go to look like them, I sighed. "Sure."  So much for pride.

We went into the studio, which I expected would be as warm as the changing room and lobby.  It was hot. Really hot. I watched as others carefully placed their towels on their mats and did the same. I copied them as they stretched out, trying to avert my gaze from my own reflection in the mirror.  "Relax, Ellen," I said to myself.  Talking is not allowed in the studio. It was hot and crowded. 

Tammy came in, with a huge smile, wearing a microphone headset.  She stepped up onto a raised platform in the middle of the studio and greeted the class. She pointed the class's attention to the New Kid Who Only Speaks English and told me not to worry, that new students rarely complete all of the postures, that if I felt dizzy I should just sit quietly, and that I should not leave the room because being in there for 90 minutes is very, very important.  I had read all of that information here: New Students.

And then it began. In German. With "stretch, stretch, push" in English. I tried to watch the other students and copy them. I could see that my face was red. Every part of my body was sweating.  It was like being in a sauna, except not as dry and with the expectation that you will do more than sit quietly and sweat.

Here are the 26 postures (repeated several times each) that we did in the 90-minute class:

Standing Deep Breathing Pose (Pranayama)

Standing Deep Breathing Pose (Pranayama)
  • Expands the lungs to their full capacity
  • Increases circulation to the whole body
  • Counteracts emphysema, asthma, and other breathing problems
  • Helps regulate blood pressure
  • Exercises the nervous, respiratory and circulatory systems

Half Moon/Hands to Feet Pose (Ardha Chandrasana Pada Hastana)

Half Moon/Hands to Feet Pose (Ardha Chandrasana Pada Hastana)
  • Revitalizes liver, spleen, pancreas and kidneys
  • Corrects bad posture
  • Helps to alleviate lower back pain, bronchial distress, scoliotic deformities, tennis elbow, frozen shoulder
  • Improves circulation in the legs and to the brain
  • Increases the flexibility of the spine, sciatic nerves, most of the tendons and ligaments of the legs
  • Strengthens and firms the abdomen, hips, thighs and buttocks

Awkward Pose (Utkatasana)

Awkward Pose (Utkatasana)
  • Increases circulation in the knee, toe and ankle joints
  • Relieves rheumatism, arthritis and gout in the legs
  • Helps to cure slipped disc and lumbago in the lower spine
  • Increases hip joint flexibility
  • Strengthens and firms upper arms and all muscles of thighs, calves and hips

Eagle Pose (Garurasana)

Eagle Pose (Garurasana)
  • Relieves tension in neck and shoulders
  • Improves sexual vitality and control
  • Improves flexibility of all 12 major joints of the body
  • Strengthens and firms legs, arms, and abdomen

Standing Head to Knee Pose (Dandayamana Janushirasana)

Standing Head to Knee Pose (Dandayamana Janushirasana)
  • Develops concentration, determination and patience
  • Increases pancreatic functions
  • Helps balance blood sugar levels
  • Improves flexibility of sciatic nerve
  • Strengthens and firms abdomen, thighs, legs, upper body and arms

Standing Bow Pulling Pose (Dandayamana Dhanurasana)

Standing Bow Pulling Pose (Dandayamana Dhanurasana)
  • Flushes out kidneys helping to eliminate toxins
  • Increases the size and elasticity of the rib cage and lungs
  • Helps correct high blood pressure
  • Helps tennis elbow and frozen shoulder
  • Improves the flexibility and strength of the lower spine and most of the body’s muscles
  • Improves flexibility of sciatic nerve
  • Strengthens and firms abdominal wall, upper thighs, upper arms, hips, and buttocks

Balancing Stick Pose (Tuladandasana)

Balancing Stick Pose (Tuladandasana)
  • Strengthens the heart muscle and improves circulation
  • Increases lung capacity
  • Helps tennis elbow and varicose veins
  • Increases the flexibility of the spine, hip, and shoulder joints
  • Strengthens and firms arms, hips, buttocks and upper thighs

Standing Separate Leg Stretching Pose (Dandayamana Bibhaktapada Paschimottanasana)

Standing Separate Leg Stretching Pose (Dandayamana Bibhaktapada Paschimottanasana)
  • Helps functioning of the abdominal organs
  • Brings blood to the brain
  • Stretches and strengthens the sciatic nerves and tendons of the legs
  • Increases flexibility of the pelvis, ankles, hip joints and last 5 vertebrae of spine
  • Improves the muscle tone and flexibility of thighs and calves

Triangle Pose (Trikanasana)

Triangle Pose (Trikanasana)
  • Improves every muscle, joint, tendon and internal organ
  • Revitalizes nerves, veins, and tissues
  • Improves crooked spines
  • Helps correct frozen shoulder and tennis elbow
  • Increases strength and flexibility of the hip joint and of the muscles of the side of the torso
  • Strengthens and firms arms, upper thighs, waistline and hips

Standing Separate Leg Head to Knee Pose (Dandayamana Bibhaktapada Janushirasana)

Standing Separate Leg Head to Knee Pose (Dandayamana Bibhaktapada Janushirasana)
  • Increases blood circulation to legs and brain (helping with some types of headaches)
  • Massages internal organs
  • Helps with diabetes and hyperacidity
  • Helps relieve constipation, dyspepsia, and hemorrhoids
  • Improves flexibility of the spine, shoulders, hips, sciatic nerve
  • Strengthens and firms abdomen, waistline, hips, buttocks, upper thighs

Tree Pose (Tadasana)

Tree Pose (Tadasana)
  • Improves posture and balance
  • Improves circulatory disorders
  • Relieves tension in neck and shoulders
  • Increases flexibility of ankles, knees, and hip joints
  • Strengthens internal oblique muscles to prevent hernia

Toe Stand Pose (Padangustasana)

Toe Stand Pose (Padangustasana)
  • Develops psychological and mental powers, especially patience
  • Helps to cure gout and rheumatism of the knees, ankles and feet
  • Helps with hemorrhoid problems
  • Strengthens stomach muscles, weak joints, and feet (which have 1/4 of all the bones in the body)

Dead Body Pose (Savasana)

Dead Body Pose (Savasana)
  • Returns circulation to normal
  • Improves concentration
  • Helps reduce hypertension, nervousness, anxiety, and irritability

Wind Removing Pose (Pavanamuktasana)

Wind Removing Pose (Pavanamuktasana)
  • Massages the colon
  • Helps and prevents constipation and irritable bowel syndrome
  • Stimulates the liver, small and large intestine, and spleen
  • Improves flexibility of the hip joints and relieves lower back pain
  • Firms the abdomen, thighs and hips

Sit-up

Sit-up
  • Strengthens and firms the abdomen
  • Increases flexibility of the spine, hamstrings, and sciatic nerve

Cobra Series

Cobra Series (Bhujangasana)Cobra Series (Bhujangasana)Cobra Series (Bhujangasana)
  • Relieves back pain
  • Increases spinal strength and flexibility
  • Improves functioning of the large and small intestines, liver, kidney and spleen
  • Improves pigeon chest by opening rib cage, permitting maximum expansion of the lungs increasing oxygen intake
  • Improves digestion
  • Helps relieve lumbago, rheumatism and arthritis of the spine
  • Helps to cure gout, slipped disc, sciatica, tennis elbow
  • Helps relieve menstrual problems
  • Strengthens the immune system and revitalizes the thyroid
  • Improves flexibility of hip and shoulder joint
  • Strengthens and firms abdomen, hips, legs, buttocks and arms

Floor Bow (Dhanurasana)

Floor Bow (Dhanurasana)
  • Strengthens the kidneys
  • Strengthens the back and thigh muscles
  • Opens the hip and shoulder joints
  • Helps decrease cervical spondylosis, hernia and other back problem
  • Helps to regulate the digestive system

Fixed Firm Pose (Supta Vajrasana)

Fixed Firm Pose (Supta Vajrasana)
  • Helps to cure sciatica, gout and rheumatism in the legs
  • Helps to prevent hernia
  • Strengthens and improves flexibility of lower spine, knees, and ankles
  • Firms thighs, calf muscles and strengthens the abdomen

Half Tortoise Pose (Ardha Kurmasana)

Half Tortoise Pose (Ardha Kurmasana)
  • Provides maximum relaxation
  • Stretches lower part of the lungs increasing blood circulation to the brain
  • Good for diabetes and anemia
  • Massages heart, lungs, and coronary arteries
  • Increases flexibility of the hip and shoulder joints
  • Firms abdomen and thighs

Camel Pose (Ustrasana)

Camel Pose (Ustrasana)
  • Stretches abdominal organs and cures constipation
  • Stretches the throat, thyroid gland and parathyroid
  • Stimulates the nervous system
  • Opens rib cage to allow for maximum expansion of the lungs
  • Maximum compression of spine improving flexibility of the neck and spine
  • Firms the abdomen and slims the waistline

Rabbit Pose (Sasangasana)

Rabbit Pose (Sasangasana)
  • Maximum stretch of the spine allowing nervous system to receive proper nutrition
  • Maintains mobility and elasticity of spine
  • Nurtures the nervous system, helps with depression
  • Improves digestion
  • Helps cure sinus problems, colds and chronic tonsillitis
  • Strengthens and firms abdomen and back muscles

Head to Knee with Stretching Pose (Janushirasana mit Paschimottanasana)

Head to Knee with Stretching Pose (Janushirasana mit Paschimottanasana)
  • Helps balance blood sugar levels
  • Improves kidney function
  • Improves digestion
  • Improves the flexibility of sciatic nerves, ankles and hip joints
  • Strengthens and firms abdomen and arms

Spine Twisting Pose (Ardha Matsyendrasana)

Spine Twisting Pose (Ardha Matsyendrasana)
  • Increases circulation and nutrition to spinal nerves, veins, and tissues
  • Improves spinal elasticity and flexibility
  • Helps cure lumbago and rheumatism of the spine
  • Improves digestion
  • Firms abdomen, thighs and buttocks

Blowing in Firm (Kapalbhati in Vajrasana)

Blowing in Firm (Kapalbhati in Vajrasana)
  • Increases circulation
  • Removes toxins
  • Strengthens all abdominal organs
  • Trims the waist line
Whew!  I was able to "do" all of the postures, even if modified to accommodate my inexperience and lack of flexibility.  I felt dizzy and sat down once.  I quietly reached for my water, but before I could take a sip, Tammy said "no water yet, just sit and rest."  Well, water was really what I wanted, so I just got back up and continued.  There were 3 or 4 times in the class that we were given a chance to drink water.  I was parched, but I noticed that many of the other students didn't even drink theirs. I drank mine. My head pounded with the heat. And then, at the end of the class, we got to lie down and rest. Tammy guided us through some relaxation, and blessedly, cooled the room slightly.

We quietly left the room and went into the reception area where there was fruit and tea. I grabbed an apple and went outside to a little outdoor stairway where others were sitting and cooling off. I felt that I would never, ever stop sweating.

Back in the changing room, people showered and dressed. I showered and then realized that in my haste to leave the house, I neglected to bring certain items to change into. My "yoga top" was soaking wet. No way I could put it back on. I wasn't thrilled with the alternative, however. And I couldn't stop sweating, even after the shower. I had a cardigan that I could put on over my t-shirt, but the idea of an extra layer was not appealing.  Why was everyone all clean and dry?  I kept sweating.  Using a hair dryer was completely out of the question. My clean, dry t-shirt looked as though I had just done the class in it.  I was thinking about us taking the bus, and walking home. I was burgundy-faced, with soaking wet hair and a soaking wet shirt. I looked like I'd been caught in a rainstorm of boiling water.

But I felt great.  Dizzy, hot, tired, but great. And proud that I'd done it. 

3 comments:

  1. Mmmmph. I'm exhausted just reading about it. And is it just me or isn't it a little warm in here? . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds a bit mental. But good on ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the things I love most about you is how brave you are at doing things, just trying things, just jumping in and saying, by golly, I can do this. I think that's very courageous. I used to be like that, a little, back so very many years ago, but not now, so now I admire it even more in you, your bravery, your courage, your giving life a kick in the butt and taking charge and adding more and more layers to what is already an amazing person. I'm so proud to be your mother that sometimes it just takes my breath away.

    ReplyDelete